Monday, June 13, 2011

Tahquitz!

Tahquitz is a spectacular rock climbing area about an hour uphill from Palm Springs. I joined Mountain Man there for a weekend, a magnificent weekend indeed.


We reveled in the gorgeous, forested hikes leading up to the mountains ....




and in the awesome granite climbs, ranging from delicate face climbing to burly crack climbing.



In the evenings, we gathered around the campfire to rest our sore muscles, have a drink, tell a tale, and cook up some yummy dinner.



And, of course, there was knitting all along the way! At every spare moment, I'd get out what looked like a huge, tangled, unpromising mess of alpaca yarn an get in a few stitches.


It's that green sweater, now radically re-engineered. I unraveled it halfway and re-knit it to be a fitted wrap sweater with crocheted trim.



I need to finish knitting the sleeves and crocheting the trim, and then I need to add a tie at the waist (in the photo above, it was just held closed with a stick). And then it'll be finished! A happy salvaging of the project, I'd say!

Though perhaps bit reminiscent of Peter Pan ...

8 comments:

nordwolke said...

Awesome places to knit. :) Thanks for the great pictures

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

I LOVE your green sweater! I want one of my very own! Which pattern was it?

Letty said...

Climbing and knitting is a great couple. I'm so jealous about the location, i don't have a bouldering area near by :/
Your sweater looks beautiful. If my knitting skill is much better than now, i should try a wrapped sweater.

Julie said...

The climbing looks incredible, and so does your WIP green sweater! Looks like a great fit already.

Acorn to Oak said...

What a surprise to see the title of your post today...we've been up there the last two weekends! We were up on "Suicide Rock" on Sunday...across Idyllwild from "Lily Rock" and "Tahquitz". We saw climbers over there...I wonder if we saw you?! What a beautiful place and a beautiful weekend! :-)

Turtle said...

what a nice weekend! loving loving loving that sweater!

kathy b said...

Your posts are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! the knitting alone is fantastic, then you add the hiking climbing outdoorsy stuff and they are all wonderful images. Thanks Fireman likes to read your posts too

Frl. Wildenstein said...

I follow your knits on ravelry since a long time und I love the natural look of your wool, your patterns and you. Great. All matches together. Every time, I come to your website, it makes me happy :o) I hope, you understand my little English.

Greetings from Germany
Kathness :o)