Saturday, November 07, 2009

distractions

My design process for the sweater has been following what you might call an "emergent design" method. I dove in headlong, ripping out what didn't work, and letting the design emerge from what I learned along the way. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Lately it's the latter, so I've been driven to distraction ...

I've been playing with my spinning wheel


And experimenting with dyes from my backyard



And casting on for a new Rivendell hat


All of which has been reinvigorating but has not solved my problems with the sweater. I've knit the shoulders five ways already and found each to be unsatisfying. Maybe tonight I'll bit the bullet and go for lucky number six

4 comments:

Turtle said...

nice, love the looks of the hat so far!!

Rachel said...

Okay, your process of design sound so stressful! I hope the sixth time is the charm!

kathy b said...

Beautiful cable. Six is the trick!

Kaycee said...

He-e-e-lp! I downloaded and printed your Rivendell hat pattern in 2007. I filed it away to knit when I was ready. Well, it has come to that time...I have begun to knit it and I am loving it. The only problem is, I don't have the last page of the pattern and I can no longer find it on line!!! I have no idea how to decrease it! I was wondering if you could find it in your heart to send me the decrease portion of the pattern so that I may finish it. It is pretty cold here in Canada and my poor ears are in dire need of a new hat!

Thanks for your consideration!

Karen in C-c-c-cold Canada.

:)

Awesome pattern, by the way.