Friday, October 16, 2009

leafy cardigan decisions

It's Friday, end of the day, and I'm taking a few minutes to contemplate my weekend knitting. I've been working on a new project that, I'm afraid, needs some major re-working.

It started last weekend with a monstrously long swatch, trying everything from garter, stockinette, seed stitch, one- and two-color ribbing, three kinds of cables, colorwork ....


Of all of these, my favorite was the bit of leafy colorwork. I love how the variation in the green/ochre skein comes through.


I'd decided to try making an asymmetrical cardigan, with a square neck and a line of those leaves running vertically by the button band. It's top down so that I can stop anytime the yarn runs out. And I can decide as I go whether I want to spend yarn on sleeves or turn it into a longer vest.


The problem? After designing a whole garment around that bit of colorwork, I don't like how it's coming out! I don't like the textural change, and I'm afraid that my tension isn't so even. Now I'm considering whether to rip it out, knit it in brown, and just embroider the leaves on afterwards (like in my Contemplation Pouches).

Anyways, here's Isis wishing you a happy weekend!


She got so excited when I went out into the backyard to take photos that she threw herself on the ground, rolled on her back, and whined for a belly rub.

8 comments:

Turtle said...

such a cute furry pic! I think that yarn and design would look nice in a halter type vest. You know kind of like a vest/tank with a more empire waist but made to be worn fall/winter over a long sleeve t or blouse.

Renee said...

Isis looks like a darling!

lexa said...

Isis is such a cutie! It looks like she's in the middle of a big laugh. :)

kjsutcliffe said...

Your extra swatch looks like the beginnings of a fantastic scarf!

Love the laughing dog photo!

Rachel said...

I think that may be the longest, strangest swatch I've ever seen! :) I hope you get the pattern to your liking...I too love the color-work with the leaf!

Isis is one happy dog! Too cute!

kathy b said...

I'm so sorry that your energy got off track there somehow. You'll learn something from what you
ve knitted so far on the sweater. THEN the real answer will come!

Love the pooch smile!

KSee said...

my goodness, I wish I could be that carefree and run out roll over and get a belly rub. Glad she got one. Great shot.

I know you will figure out what is best for your sweater.

gayle said...

It's hard when the yarn doesn't live up to the image in your brain. Sometimes you get Sprout (perfect) and sometimes you don't. I hope it sorts itself out for you.