Monday, September 14, 2009

Mount Lemmon weekend

This past weekend, Mountain Man and I loaded up the truck and headed up to mountains for camping and climbing, while I got in good, solid hours of knitting during the drive and around the campfire. This is getting to be such a familiar story that I feel quite boring telling it!


All the same, it was awfully beautiful. We went to Mount Lemmon this time, driving the back way through Oracle and up the dirt roads on the north side of the mountain, laughing and listening to Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson (it's hard to beat "Mammas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys" for a singalong).

There's not much to show on the knitting front. I did finish that leaf-patterned blanket, but I wanted to tinker with the pattern, so I'm re-knitting it now. It looks pretty much the same as it did the last time!

The one fiber anecdote that may be interesting has to do with my latest "hair taping." This is a medieval hairstyle in which you braid your hair in two braids, wrap it around your head, and then literally sew it in place. I didn't have any ribbon with which to sew it, though, so instead I used a few yards of a handpainted wool yarn.


It's definitely a little odd, but I'm still just getting the hang of it. The most important thing was that it keeps my waist-length hair secure while I'm rock climbing.

2 comments:

rockbridge said...

hey - that looks like the view from the druid - did you guys go back there? hope you had a beautiful weekend! oh and p.s. love the pics of the sit-upon. it turned out so cool.

kathy b said...

I love love love the medieval up do. bring it back in style!