Thursday, October 18, 2007

yarn games

The bonnets are on the backburner. I've had trouble finding the ideal bootie pattern, so now that's on hold as well. Mostly I've been playing around with textures, with the concept of finding nature-inspired patterns that reflect the colors or feel of the fiber.

For example, I've been working with Print O'the Wave in tussah silk singles. I feel like it really captures the glimmer of waves on sand:

And I've been working a Feather and Fan pattern in some of the indigo-dyed wool/tussah blend from La Lana. The scalloped edge reminds me of a stream winding its way through the landscape. I really love this yarn, though their smooth bombyx silk might have been better texturally.

In other yarn-game news, I've devoted far too much energy to finding contests for WiKnit, my new knitting contest blog. I'm pretty excited about what I've found - yarn giveaways on blogs, knitting design contests, knitting photo contests. Please check it out, and please let me know of any contests you run across!

7 comments:

textilejunkie said...

Both your projects are gorgeous! but the print of the wave is totally breath taking. That yarn...wow!

I'll have to check out that contest blog - maybe I'll actually win something :)

Anonymous said...

Your projects are gorgeous - I just love Print o the wave in silk!

Veronique said...

Wow, the print o' the wave in silk looks gorgeous! *drool*
I'm loving WiKnit!

Anonymous said...

Print o' the wave is gorgeous! I've seen so many in garish variegated wool and they did anything for me but yours is making me reconsider...

Rachael said...

That Print o the wave is GORGEOUS in that silk!!

Gustavo said...

wow, those are really beautiful. What an interesting pattern.

Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, wow. That Print o' the Wave is absolutely gorgeous! I've had to wipe the drool off the keyboard :) Thanks for your comments on pattern memorization -- I love the idea of doing one clean repeat and then using that as (essentially) my chart. How did that never occur to me? (doh!) I'm off to check out WiKnit!